The Department of Justice has finally published the affidavit for the search warrant the FBI used to raid the Florida residence of former President Donald Trump, but only after heavily redacting its contents.
Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart of the Southern District of Florida, who had initially approved the warrant, directed the DOJ to make redactions to the affidavit after rejecting their request to keep the document confidential.
Thursday, Reinhart authorized the redactions.
While attempting to justify the raid, the Justice Department also concealed its justifications for the redactions.
“agent safety” is the sole reason not censored.
Every additional justification for the redactions has been redacted.
CNN reported that the court ordered the publication of the redacted version of the document mere hours after the Department of Justice filed its redacted version.
Now, the redacted affidavit has been distributed to the media.
The media is responding with scorn on Twitter.
Reading thru the affidavit. So far the main complaint is that Trump's boxes were disorganized, and that possibly sensitive stuff was mixed in with memorabilia and junk.
— Joel Pollak (@joelpollak) August 26, 2022
This is the government's memo explaining the reason they had to make redactions the Affidavit explaining why they raided a former president's home.
As you can see, it explains so much. pic.twitter.com/KNs8KbROAn
— Greg Price (@greg_price11) August 26, 2022
From the outset of the search, Trump has accused the government of failing to provide “any reason for the unprecedented, general search of his home” and the FBI of seizing “privileged and/or potentially privileged materials … that were outside the lawful reach of an already over broad warrant.”
Trump filed a move asking the appointment of a “special master” to independently analyze the Mar-a-Lago records on Monday, possibly anticipating the extensive redactions.
Anthony Coley, spokesman for the Department of Justice, stated, “The United States has filed a submission under seal per the Court’s order of Aug. 22. The Justice Department respectfully declines further comment as the Court considers the matter.”
Prosecutors from the Department of Justice have highlighted the necessity for continuous secrecy so as not to jeopardize the ongoing criminal investigation, especially as they maintain the confidentiality of grand jury proceedings and safeguard witnesses who have or potentially give information.
More on this story via The Republic Brief:
In his order, Reinhart said the Justice Department convinced him that portions of the affidavit should remain sealed because “disclosure would reveal (1) the identities of witnesses, law enforcement agents, and uncharged parties, (2) the investigation’s strategy, direction, scope, sources, and methods, and (3) grand jury information.”
US Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart says he will unseal some of the procedural filings currently under seal on the search warrant docket. CONTINUE READING…