Rep. Matt Gaetz, a Republican from Florida, disclosed on Monday that he was accosted over the weekend.
Gaetz stated in a press release and video posted to Twitter that police apprehended a woman for assaulting him while he and his wife were attending a private event in Florida.
“On Saturday evening, April 29th, a 41-year-old woman named Selena J. Chambers assaulted U.S. Congressman Matt Gaetz (FL-01) while he was attending a private event with his wife in Sandestin, Florida. The woman was arrested by Walton County officers and charged with one count of battery on an elected official and one count of battery, to touch or strike. Chambers, a registered Democrat and self-described member of the “Resistance,” is a resident of Tallahassee, Florida,” Gaetz said in a press release.
“I will never allow the safety of Northwest Floridians to be comprised. I will be pressing charges against this individual in order to uphold the civility our community deserves. Thank you to the Walton County Sheriff’s office for taking swift action,” Gaetz said.
BREAKING: Tallahassee Woman Arrested and Charged with Assaulting Congressman Matt Gaetz on Saturday Evening, Gaetz Issues Statement in Response
“I will never allow the safety of Northwest Floridians to be compromised. I will be pressing charges against this individual in order… pic.twitter.com/lXccJypznU
— Rep. Matt Gaetz (@RepMattGaetz) May 2, 2023
Last week, Gaetz made headlines when he commented on the firing of former Fox News anchor Tucker Carlson.
Gaetz posted a teaser on Twitter about what he believes Carlson will do next.
“OMG wait till everyone sees what @TuckerCarlson has planned…,” he said.
OMG wait till everyone sees what @TuckerCarlson has planned…
— Matt Gaetz (@mattgaetz) April 28, 2023
Megyn Kelly ‘broke’ the news of Carlson’s departure, stating that the former presenter with the highest ratings cannot go anywhere else at the moment.
Kelly, a former Fox News personality, asserts that Carlson is still under contract with Fox.
“I wanna, I think, break some news for you. Tucker Carlson hasn’t actually been fired,” she said during her Thursday podcast on SiriusXM. “He’s still an employee of Fox News Channel.”
Kelly went on to explain that CEO Suzanne Scott contacted Carlson and informed him that he would no longer be permitted to host programs and would be denied access to the company’s email. She also stated that the pair must now “negotiate an exit” from the network.
She continued by stating that Tucker was “completely blindsided” by Scott’s call, but that he is not dismissed.
“That’s my information, that he still needs to negotiate the exit and that right now he’s not free to launch a podcast or a digital show or negotiate with other employers at all because he’s still under contract,” Kelly continued.
She added that Carlson repeatedly asked Scott why he was being removed from the air, but Scott refused to answer. According to an Independent report, Carlson was fired as he was negotiating a new contract that would have kept him at the network through 2029.
“To me, that is so disheartening,” Kelly went on, explaining that Carlson managed to succeed and help then network succeed through one of its most turbulent periods — the dismissal of long-time CEO Roger Ailes and the loss of two of the network’s top stars at the time, Bill O’Reilly and herself.
More on this story via Conservative Brief:
“So, why now? What was it that led them to treat their No. 1 star with such disdain?” Kelly mused. CONTINUE READING…