According to reports, a television reporter was fired after breaking a story on the hammer attack on Paul Pelosi on October 28 that was later corrected.
The Daily Beast announced on Monday that Miguel Almaguer has been suspended by NBC News pending an internal inquiry.
The “Today” show on NBC aired Almaguer’s story on November 4.
Unnamed sources were cited by the reporter as claiming that although police had been informed that it was a “high-priority call,” they really weren’t completely aware that Pelosi had been in danger when they responded to his 911 call at around 2:30 a.m.
“After a ‘knock and announce,’ the front door was opened by Mr. Pelosi,” Almaguer stated.
Pelosi wrestled with his suspected attacker, David DePape, and was struck in the head with a hammer only after he had opened the entrance to police, according to the report.
NBC on Paul Pelosi:
“The front door was opened by Mr. Pelosi. He did not declare an emergency or try to leave his home, instead began walking several feet back towards the assailant and away from police." pic.twitter.com/PArqbcPAWB
— TheBlaze (@theblaze) November 4, 2022
According to Fox News, Almaguer’s report was taken down from NBC News platforms within hours. “This piece has been removed from publication because it did not meet NBC News reporting standards,” the network stated in an editor’s note on its website.
TheBlaze claims that the comment simply generated additional inquiries. “The network … did not explain what about the report failed to meet its editorial standards, nor did the company explain how the story managed to air if the story did not go through proper vetting channels.”
The report, which appeared to contradict earlier comments made by officials, was noticed by The Daily Beast as having generated a stir among “right-wing media figures,” who “immediately took the report and its retraction as proof of a politically motivated cover-up—after a week of grasping at various conspiracy theories to dismiss the assault, which left Pelosi with a cracked skull.”
TheBlaze said that NBC declined to comment on “internal personnel issues,” although Almaguer hasn’t been seen on broadcast since then.
More on this story via The Western Journal:
His profile on NBC News’ website appears to have been deleted, and he hasn’t tweeted from his @MiguelNBC account since Nov. 3.
Fox News quoted a former senior NBC News executive who had worked with Almaguer as being critical of the network’s handling of the incident.
“NBC News must be more transparent with its viewers about this error,” the unnamed former executive said. “Who wrote Miguel’s script? Who approved the script? Are he and his producers suspended during an internal investigation? NBC’s silence on this matter speaks volumes. NBC owes it to its audience to be truthful and not cover this up.” CONTINUE READING…