According to a new report, Fox News is taking aim at Tucker Carlson’s new program on Twitter.
The network sent Carlson’s attorneys a letter on Wednesday stating that the Tuesday premiere of Carlson’s program violated his contract, according to Axios, which claimed to have seen the letter.
Carlson has taken the legal stance that Fox breached its contract with him and that he is free to do as he pleases.
In April, Fox News pulled Carlson’s program from the air. Since then, up until the Fox News letter, the terms of Carlson’s status with Fox have been murky, with Carlson alleging the contract was breached when Fox executives broke their promises to him.
BREAKING: Fox News lawyers have reached out to Tucker Carlson notifying him that he breached his contract by launching his show on Twitter.
So Fox is allowed to fire Tucker but he is not allowed to speak freely online?
In response to the move by Fox, Tucker's lawyers responded… pic.twitter.com/UFGpjNFmqb
— Collin Rugg (@CollinRugg) June 7, 2023
A Carlson representative criticized the network over the letter.
According to Deadline, Carlson’s contract with Fox News remains on paper until January 2025.
Carlson has retained an attorney to handle the legal nuances necessary for him to escape Fox News and the contract.
“Fox defends its very existence on freedom of speech grounds. Now they want to take Tucker Carlson’s right to speak freely away from him because he took to social media to share his thoughts on current events,” said Carlson’s lawyer, Bryan Freedman, according to Axios.
Would be great to have shows from all parts of the political spectrum on this platform! https://t.co/hrzEH31Pk0
— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) June 6, 2023
After Carlson broadcast his program on Twitter on Tuesday, Bernard Gugar, the general counsel for Fox News, sent a letter stating that Carlson “is in breach” of his contract.
“In connection with such breach and pursuant to the Agreement, Fox expressly reserves all rights and remedies which are available to it at law or equity,” the Fox News letter said.
The letter cited Carlson’s contract, which stated, “Pursuant to the terms of the Agreement, Mr. Carlson’s’services shall be completely exclusive to Fox.'”
More on this story via The Western Journal:
The contract said Carlson is “prohibited from rendering services of any type whatsoever, whether ‘over the internet via streaming or similar distribution, or other digital distribution whether now known or hereafter devised.’” CONTINUE READING…