Numerous unsourced media leaks allege that the FBI searched the Florida home of President Donald J. Trump for classified documents about nuclear weapons. Despite the fact that US Attorney Merrick Garland said nothing of the sort at his Thursday press conference to the American people, left-leaning media have published these stories and asserted that the allegations are credible.
As Trump himself highlighted on Friday, it feels like the same type of Fake News smear and leftist media leaks that Trump’s opponents have often used against him and his supporters in the past.
“Suspected presence of such files could explain why US attorney general took the step of ordering FBI agents into Trump home,” The Guardian noted on the significance of the leaks.
It has been claimed that FBI investigators were searching Donald Trump’s house on Monday for secret documents pertaining to nuclear weapons as well as other sensitive materials.
The FBI was searching Trump’s Mar-a-Lago property for materials related to nuclear weapons, according to the Washington Post, which cited sources with knowledge of the inquiry. They did not disclose the type of papers or whether they were to the United States’ or another nation’s arsenal.
Trump issued a press release on Thursday evening “encouraging the quick release” of information linked to the FBI’s investigation of his Florida residence, while denying claims that investigators had searched his house for nuclear weapons-related documents.
“Not only will I not oppose the release of documents related to the unAmerican, unwarranted, and unnecessary raid and break-in of my home in Palm Beach, Florida, Mar-a-Lago, I am going a step further by ENCOURAGING the immediate release of those documents, even though they have been drawn up by radical left Democrats and possible future political opponents, who have a strong and powerful vested interest in attacking me, much as they have done for the last 6 years,” Trump said.
Trump’s statement on the document release, which his legal team previously declined to authorize, follows the Justice Department’s Thursday move to unseal the search warrant and Attorney General Merrick Garland’s Thursday public remarks that he “personally approved” the action to seek the warrant that was used and that it would be made public.
CBS News reports that in a filing in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, the Justice Department formally requested that U.S. Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart unseal the warrant, the list of seized items, and the accompanying information “absent objection from the former president.”
More on this story via The Republic Brief:
“The press and the public enjoy a qualified right of access to criminal and judicial proceedings and the judicial records filed therein,” wrote U.S. Attorney Juan Antonio Gonzalez and Jay Bratt, head of the Justice Department’s counterintelligence and export control section wrote in the request, adding that “the public’s clear and powerful interest in understanding what occurred under these circumstances weighs heavily in favor of unsealing.”
Reinhart has given the Justice Department until 3 p.m. Friday to notify him if Trump’s attorneys plan to fight to unseal the documents.
While insisting he wants the records behind the search released, Trump blamed the search and seizure of documents on politics and called it an “unprecedented political weaponization
of law enforcement.” CONTINUE READING…