Friday, the Justice Department provided congressional leaders with another set of classified documents discovered by the FBI at the residences of President Joe Biden, former President Donald Trump, and former Vice President Mike Pence.
Axios reported that the Biden administration continues to cooperate with legislators despite months of criticism from both Democrats and Republicans that crucial information regarding seized documents is being withheld.
“The documents were provided to the Gang of Eight, the top four party leaders and the chairs and ranking members of the House and Senate intelligence committees, three sources familiar told Axios,” the outlet noted, adding that the congressional members were not informed which residence each of the documents came from.
In August, the FBI seized documents from Trump during a high-profile raid. Shortly thereafter, agents discovered classified documents at one of Biden’s residences in Delaware, after discovering some at the Penn Biden Center in Washington, D.C., prior to the November 2020 election.
And in January, documents were discovered at the Indiana residence of Pence.
However, it has taken months for Congress to receive an update from the DOJ. In addition, Republicans who have controlled the House since January have been unable to obtain additional information regarding Biden’s possible mismanagement of classified documents, despite the fact that a special counsel is investigating the matter alongside Trump.
“House Republicans on Tuesday called on the Biden administration to release more information about its handling of documents marked classified found in a private office once used by” Biden, CBS News reported.
“The request from Republican House Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer came after the committee interviewed Gary Stern, the top lawyer for the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA), in January,” the report continued.
Stern testified before the committee that NARA had prepared a statement in response to a January 9 CBS News report that claimed classified documents had been discovered at the Penn Biden Center. However, according to Stern, no news outlets received this statement.
Stern refused to address the committee’s question about who ordered the statement not to be released.
“According to [Justice Department] guidance, I’m not supposed to talk about the, you know, content of our communications with other parties,” he said.
CBS News noted that Comer, a Republican from Kentucky, is attempting to determine the answer.
Tuesday, he sent a letter to White House chief of staff Jeff Zients requesting documents and communications “regarding the withholding of NARA’s statement that it intended to issue on January 9, 2023.”
The letter noted that NARA issued a statement in February 2022 in response to a Washington Post report that presidential records had been discovered on Trump’s Florida estate. Two days later, it was reported that the Justice Department had been referred the matter involving Trump.
“The White House did not ask the Archives to withhold a statement,” White House spokesman Ian Sams told CBS News.
In January, CNN reported: “The FBI searched President Joe Biden’s former think tank office in Washington in November after his team notified the National Archives that they found classified documents there, according to a Justice Department official and another source familiar with the matter.”
The news source also reported that a warrant was not used to search Biden’s office and that his legal team agreed to the search.
More on this story via Conservative Brief:
But, CNN noted further, “the White House and Biden’s legal team did not previously disclose the FBI’s November search, in contrast to a search conducted by the bureau earlier this month at Biden’s home in Wilmington, Delaware.” CONTINUE READING…