According to a court filing, President Joe Biden’s Justice Department wants to prevent the public from reading the documents that prompted last week’s FBI raid at former President Donald Trump’s home in South Florida’s Mar-a-Lago Club. This is despite the fact that ordinary Americans and news organizations are demanding to know the reason for the raid.
Multiple news organizations have requested the sworn document that explains the legal basis for the search.
However, the Department of Justice asserts that disclosing the material might compromise an ongoing investigation.
Republicans in Congress are unhappy with this development.
I’ve demanded an immediate investigation into the raid of President Donald Trump’s residence.
I won’t stop until there’s full transparency and accountability. https://t.co/8Jin4DyyvO
— Elise Stefanik (@EliseStefanik) August 15, 2022
U.S. Attorney Juan Gonzalez and Justice Department counterintelligence chief Jay Bratt stated in a court filing that the Justice Department has already shared the information it believes the American public needs to know and will share additional information it believes will not impact its investigation.
It drew a line in the sand, however, when it came to the affidavit – the document that presumably explains why the raid was deemed essential in the first place.
“Disclosure at this juncture of the affidavit supporting probable cause would, by contrast, cause significant and irreparable damage to this ongoing criminal investigation,” the filing argued.
“As the Court is aware from its review of the affidavit, it contains, among other critically important and detailed investigative facts: highly sensitive information about witnesses, including witnesses interviewed by the government; specific investigative techniques; and information required by law to be kept under seal pursuant to Federal Rule of Criminal Procedure 6(e),” the filing said.
The Biden DOJ doesn’t want its affidavit justifying the Mar-a-Lago raid be released to the public, but it does not hesitate to leak daily to its willing stenographers in the mainstream media. This way only its side of the story gets out. Some “transparency.” Some “rule of law.”
— Dinesh D'Souza (@DineshDSouza) August 15, 2022
The complaint said that disclosing the basis for the raid may compromise the investigation.
“If disclosed, the affidavit would serve as a roadmap to the government’s ongoing investigation, providing specific details about its direction and likely course, in a manner that is highly likely to compromise future investigative steps,” it said.
According to the lawsuit, making the document public would also reveal the names of witnesses.
“In addition, information about witnesses is particularly sensitive given the high-profile nature of this matter and the risk that the revelation of witness identities would impact their willingness to cooperate with the investigation,” the filing argued.
More on this story via The Western Journal:
“Disclosure of the government’s affidavit at this stage would also likely chill future cooperation by witnesses whose assistance may be sought as this investigation progresses, as well as in other high-profile investigations.”
“The fact that this investigation implicates highly classified materials further underscores the need to protect the integrity of the investigation and exacerbates the potential for harm if information is disclosed to the public prematurely or improperly,” the filing claimed.
According to Politico, the decision on making the affidavit public rests with federal Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart. But the DOJ is clearly not willing to release information, no matter what Reinhart decides. CONTINUE READING…